Sum Entire Column in LibreOffice Calc
I wanted to total the dollar amounts in an entire column of a spreadsheet, with the sum preferably appearing on a different sheet in the file. The seemingly-obvious SUM(A) to sum all values in column A did not work.
To achieve this, a data range needs to be defined for the column in question. For this example, we'll assume it's column C on Sheet2.
- Go to the sheet with the column of data (e.g., click the "Sheet2" sheet's tab)
- Click the column header (i.e., "C" — not a text header you've added)
- Click the "Data" menu and choose the "Define Range..." option
- In the dialog that appears, give the range a name (e.g., "MyMoney")
- Go to the sheet where you want the total to appear
- In the cell where you want the sum to appear, use SUM() with the name of the data range, like: SUM(MyMoney)