Printing to Brother MFC-5840CN from OpenSUSE x86_64
Needed to set up printing via CUPS to a Brother MFC-5840CN multi-function printer that exists on our home LAN.
This was not particularly straight-forward, but the steps involved are listed below (links open in new window so that you can easily return to these instructions). Update: These instructions were written for OpenSUSE 11.2. In 11.4, I was able to skip steps 3, 5, 6, and 7.
- From Brother's "Solutions" site, download the LPR and cupswrapper drivers (RPM files) for the MFC-5840CN
- Per the instructions provided by Brother, do not use the Software Installation tool to install the drivers; instead, use the following from the command line:
rpm -ihv --nodeps (lpr-drivername)
rpm -ihv --nodeps (cupswrapper-drivername)
- This may or may not be necessary, I'm not sure: Update your printcap file using the instructions in step 5 of the LPR driver instructions
- Be sure to complete step 5b in the Brother instructions linked above, to adjust the CUPS setting for the printer, via the Web browser interface
- Make a link from where the (presumably 32-bit?) brlpdwrapperMFC5840CN filter is installed to where CUPS will look for it, using:
ln -s /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC5840CN /usr/lib64/cups/filter
- Restart CUPS (again) from the command line using:
- If the Web interface for CUPS shows that the printer is stopped, click the button to start it
- Print a test page to make sure it's all working
Hope this helps other OpenSUSE / Brother MFC-5840CN users!