The Hours Are Ticking Down
As I write this, just after midnight and a few minutes into Halloween here in the Seattle area, NaNoWriMo is less than a day away. I've been scurrying along the past couple of weeks trying to make sure I would be ready, and apart from the thing that matters most — the story I plan to write — I think I'm sort of ready. I re-read the book for which I will be writing the prequel, and I created a blank project on Penflip to hold my novel. Now I just need to figure out what I'm actually going to write! Read on for a little more about my NaNo prep and plans.
I'm going to keep this short because I still have a lot to do before November begins, but here's a brief overview of what I've done and what I'm planning to do:
- Read my old, not-yet-published fantasy novel for which this project will be the prequel (done)
- Take notes about historical comments made in the first novel (done)
- Familiarize myself with Penflip, including git access for mobile writing (done)
- Create an empty project on Penflip for my new NaNo novel (done)
- Get caught up on work responsibilities so I can focus heavily on NaNoWriMo for about one week (mostly done)
- Draw map for parts of the world not yet mapped (not done)
- Sketch out basic storyline & cast of characters (not done)
I still have time, although with my daughters coming home to celebrate Halloween with us, and of course having trick-or-treaters showing up in the evening, I don't expect to be able to focus much. If I don't get the story planning done before November begins, I'll get started writing anyway, and then fill things in as I go.
For now... back to work. Wait, no, it's after midnight. Maybe some sleep would be a good idea!
Photo credit: mconnors on morgueFile.com. Used under license.
About the Author
Stuart J. Whitmore is an author of fiction and nonfiction, as well as a photographer, technology developer, and more. If you enjoy reading his blog posts, you might also enjoy reading his books. Take a look at the books by Stuart J. Whitmore today, and download your copy of one that looks interesting to you!